Sunday 10 November 2013

Manchester Mugging.

On Friday night Nov 7, I went to Albert Square along with an estimated 20 thousand other people.



I took my two Grandsons. The event was terrific. I was not over impressed with the top of the bill, James Arthur. However 'nit picking apart' it was a great night.

During the fireworks, my two Grandsons looked up to me with wide eyed excitement, I felt so proud. Looking down at them, they reminded of my youth, I to, was a very attractive young lad. With some pride I explained that their Granddad and his mates had helped to pay for the event. 

I did have some reservations however. Deep in the pit of my stomach, I felt 'queasy' my mates had no idea they had contributed.. Money was taken from the Taxi Reserve Account in April 2013. This money was itemized as 'Special Events Budget'. What else could you call this function, the Christian Special event of the year. The removal of this money, however was not Advertised, had no Consent and no Parliamentary approval.

The revelation came from a freedom of information request sent from one of Manchester's most charismatic driver's.

The request can be found here.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/licensing_accounts_2#incoming-402238

Scroll down and click on 'Taxi Reserve balances 2011 12 2012 13.xls'

As I looked around, my gaze was reflected by other Christian people, it was a warm welcoming feeling. At this point it struck me than most of my colleagues, around 90 percent, although not present,. were 'non-Christians'. This made me uneasy, whilst I may begrudge every 10 pence, that was taken from the 'Reserve Account', my Non Christian' pals, of which there are many, had no idea they were paying 90 pence to every 10 pence of mine.

Equipped with this knowledge I scoured both the TPC Act of 1847 and the LGMPA of 1976. I found no reference of the 'Special Events Budget'. However I did find the phrase

'Notwithstanding the provisions of the Act of 1847, a district council may demand and recover for the grant to any person of a licence to drive a hackney carriage, or a private hire vehicle, as the case may be, such a fee as they consider reasonable with a view to recovering the costs of issue and administration and may remit the whole or part of the fee in respect of a private hire vehicle in any case in which they think it appropriate to do so.   

On the basis of this, I left a magnificent event feeling that I had been mugged, which in fact, we all have been..

More will surely follow.




No comments:

Post a Comment